Aug 18, 2010

Vintage Chabad.org

While browsing the interwebs looking for the history of Gopher (arguably the precursor to html and the internet as we know it today), I found a video (in a torrent) that had two geeks discussing the protocol and how it functions.

In their demo they searched for 'salmon' on the world wide web. To my surprise, their first result pointed to the Chabad.org gopher. I had to crop that part out and share it with you. Chabad was in cyberspace more than five years before Google, and ten years before facebook. Chabad.org as we know it today, was spearheaded by 'the father of the Jewish internet' Rabbi Y.Y. Kazen, may his holy memory be blessed.

I am fascinated, and proud.

Without further ado, here it is:



P.s. You'll notice they point out the content they are looking at, Chabad's Gopher, does not run on a Gopher Plus server (this was probably due to budgetary constraints). Gopher Plus was an extension to Gopher that would include meta-data associated with the content. For the content in question, we would probably see that (the aforementioned) Rabbi YYK posted this content sometime in the mid 90's.

6 comments:

Altie said...

All gibberish to me but nice to see you blogging again.

Altie said...

I tried searching your blog on google and this what came up.

http://nutinalifeshell.blogspot.com/

It appears this guy started his blog in 2009 so you could have used that IP address. But either way, he has the same name as you.

JustaGuy said...

Snooping around on Google is one of my favorite pastimes, how'd you know.

I like nials, it's like nails, just typo'd.

Altie said...

I secretly stalk you and know everything about you.

Or like the name Nials, or like the Nial river. It's ok.

JustaGuy said...

Denial is more than just a river in Egypt :D

(that's in reference to the stalking)

Altie said...

I don't get it.